Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 062: The Joy of Learning


Day 062:

Learning has always held a special place in my heart, since I was a child. I'd always get giddy when I was faced with something new to learn, whether it was basic science back in grade school. 1984 in high school. Postmodernism in college. Abnormal Psychology. Neuroanatomy. Physiology. Economics. Whatever. I loved that heart-pumping feeling of being on the intellectual frontier.

Today, I found another side of learning in this photo. Among our pedia modules were cognitive aspects of development. In order to concretize this, our consultants brought children to our class. We had a 3-day old neonate, a 6-mo infant, an 18-mo toddler, a 2-yo, and a 4-yo. We were guided through several tests that showed their development, from reflexes to motor skills, to recognition, to language and whatever else. 

This particular boy is 18 mo. He is advanced for his age. He is showing the skills that could be attributed to a child older than 2 years old. Although he doesn't speak yet (maybe he was shy), he learns new tasks extremely fast.

What I like about this photo of mine, is that I see the genuine joy and pride of the mother (who is a pediatrics fellow) behind him as he solves his shape-cutout puzzle. This is another aspect of learning, I believe teachers, mentors and parents would be more familiar of. It is a special feeling to learn something for yourself. It is an entirely different special feeling to see someone you care for learn something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment