Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 068: Getting Older


Day 068:

This is Picoy, a housemate and good friend of mine. Today is his birthday. Last night we spent some time just having fun (his treat of course :p). Good friends, drinks and food! Awesome.

Getting older is funny. As a child, we long for it. "When I grow up..." or "When I'm older I'll..." We associate the birthday with being able to do more, see more, go more places. Being older is becoming more able, more agile, more empowered. We'd love to get older. Of course the constant barrage of gifts help! But there comes a point (I think it falls somewhere between the ages of 16-21) that we stop. Getting older becomes passe. It's a statement of fact. I am X years already. We look forward to birthday parties not because of gifts (because they become less imaginative anyway, often clothes, or money tokens from relatives. No more toys or fun stuff.) but because of company. There probably will come a point when we wouldn't want to get older at all... after 30? I don't know yet.


But birthdays should always be like this. Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment