Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 086: Words


Day 086:

A scene at the dinner table. My youngest brother (2 y/o) is conversing with my other brother (17 y/o). Well. sort of.

My brother is at a wonderful age. For himself. For everyone. It's a time of discovery. You'll hear him fumble at words. He says my name in syllables "Kuu-yah". He says a few often used words flawlessly, "'yaw ko." (I don't want to). He's learning words left and right. This is a plate. This is your nose. This is my ear. This is a pencil. This is a car. As a bystander to this amazing stage of growth, I celebrate with my family every whole semi-sentence my brother says. "Open dor.

Each word he says is happy. honest. true. a moment of celebration. a moment of grace. Words.

Somewhere along the way, we lose it. Thinking about conversations I've had as an adult. I think words are horrible things. We use it to lie, to decieve, to hurt. to get what we want. Devoid of trust for the utterances, I hear some words, and I cringe. We are no longer in a stage of discovery and wonder. We are in a stage of disillusionment. Lost is the cheering. Lost is the happiness.


Childhood beats adulthood by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment